Click images below to enlarge:
- Product No:
- 2nd Edition
- Edition Date:
- June 2005
- 120 x 250 x 3 mm
- 87 g
- Folded Map
- 1:1 50 000
- Sales Rank:
- 1939 (See Top 100 in Maps)
Australia's Gulf of Carpentaria has a land system unlike any other in the country. It also has a rich Aboriginal history spanning thouands of years. European interest in the coastline dates back to the 1600's and land exploration commenced in 1845.
Nat Buchanan blazed the first track along the Great Top Road 20 years after the area was explored by Ludwig Leichhardt in 1845. Huge mobs of cattle and thousands of people travelled to the Northern Territory and the Kimberley. Minerals were found in the GUlf in the 1880's but little of it could be mined due to the inhospitable nature of the land.
Travellers will be amazed at the ever changing landscape. Flat Mitchell-grass plains on the Barkly Tableland merge into rugged, stony hills of the Cloncurry-Mt Isa region. Flat coastal plains near Burketown contrast with deep river crossings on the Great Top ROad. Mountains, plains, tropical forest, huge rivers and a coastline covered with mangroves are all part of this marvellous area called the Gulf.
- Unique number coding system links points of interest on the face of each outback map to text on reverse side.
- Historical and Exploration related information provided with most maps. Explorers tracks are shown on most maps.
- Help boxes on the map contain information gained from the author's experiences in the area.
- Permit information and important phone numbers included where known.
- Important travel information relating to 4WD, Camping and Caravanning is included.
- Most tracks are checked with GPS and laptop computer.
- Westprint Maps are specially folded for ease of use in vehicles.
- Westprint Maps are progressively revised and include Grid Lines for GPS referencing and numbered GPS locations list.
Outback Australia is one of the world's unique regions and this map has been designed to enhance your enjoyment of it.
Current reviews for 'Gulf Country'
No reviews yet, but you should totally write one. It's easy, just put some words and stuff in those boxes over there and everyone will be super happy.