Ticking Antarctica off your Bucket List
With its reputation as the coldest, windiest, driest continent on earth, it’s a wonder there have been any travel brochures printed for Antarctica. But plenty of people have a visit there listed on their bucket list and tourism numbers are growing. In 2013-14 37,000 people visited the cold continent. Of these 10,000 travelled in ships in Antarctic waters but didn’t land. In 2011-12 there were only 26,000, a sharp decline following the banning of large cruise ships after the 2007-08 season which recorded 46,000. The delicate Antarctic ecosystem has no doubt breathed a sigh of relief.
1875 Map of Antarctica
Tourist Attractions in AntarcticaWhile you won’t find too many coffee shops and shopping malls, there are a surprising number of things to see and do in Antarctica.
- Nestle into huge penguin colonies
- Photograph the native seals, whales and birds
- Take a polar plunge if you’re game
- Visit the old whaling station at Deception Bay
- Watch the whales swim by
- Go camping in a tent to get up close with the wildlife
- Take a zodiac tour through the icebergs
- Mail a postcard at Port Lockroy
- Kayak in the stunning icy waters
Categories: travel Posted on: Mar 21, 2017