Your Phrase Book will be your Best Travel Companion
If you are visiting a non-English speaking country and you don’t speak the lingo, you’re going to need some help along the way. A phrase book contains the most common expressions in a foreign language with their translation. The first known phrase book was published in 1594 so there has been plenty of time to perfect them for today’s traveller.
Why Use a Travel Phrase BookHere are some of the reasons why you should use a phrase book:
- Study the dictionary to find the most useful and frequent words
- It will cover all the basic conversation you will need when starting off
- Small enough to fit in your pocket or backpack
- They’re a great place to start if you intend to learn the language
- Find the word you need it when you need it
- Provides useful cultural tips
- Gives you enough to start speaking the local language from the moment you land
- Incorporate it into your research
- Keep it with you – a phrase book is small enough to be carried around while travelling so you can easily carry it around in your home city. As soon as you have a minute or two spare waiting on the phone, sitting on the bus, in the supermarket queue whip it out for a quick read.
- Learn a set number of words each day – commit to memorising a certain number of words each day counting down to your trip. Add the new words to a list each day and use this list to test yourself on the pronunciation and meaning of the word.
- On the plane – if you don’t get time at home, there are plenty of long hours to fill on the flight to learn some phrases.
Categories: travel Posted on: Mar 30, 2017